Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Simple Joyful Moments


The oppressive heat that had blanketed the Northeast for the better part of July finally broke last week.  Wednesday was actually on the cooler side.  The thermometer was no longer registering triple digits but settled on a comfortable number in the low seventies.  This welcomed weather change meant one thing for me.  A lunch time walk!  It was time to vacate my appointed post behind the desk, allow the computer to enter sleep mode and let the phone calls be answered by voice mail. Unlike the prior several weeks on this Wednesday I would not be working through my lunch hour but rather enjoying a long overdue date with Mother Nature.

  I traded my high heel sandals for the pair of sneakers that I keep in my car and headed up the hill behind the office to enjoy my respite from obligations, questions and problem solving. But as I exited the building a lovely creature was waiting to greet me. A Luna moth was resting on the brick entrance.  I wondered how many others had entered and exited the building without taking notice of the beauty that was perched upon the wall.

   I began my trek up the hill that leads to my quiet lunch hour retreat.  Or so I thought.  I knew that the townhouse construction project was continuing on the street to my left, but the road straight ahead has always been peaceful and devoid of activity.  As I reached the crest of the hill and walked another hundred feet or so I began to hear music.  It was not something I recognized from the current top Billboard 100 and it was not coming from a car radio or a boom box.  The sound was ancient and distinctive.  The tones were soulful.  The music was being created by bagpipes.  I stopped and stood by the side of the road and allowed each tone of this unexpected gift to fill my soul.

 Without actually seeing who was sending these magical tones into the air I assumed I would find an older gentleman blowing into the bagpipe mouthpiece and coaxing the tones from the bag and reeds. As I grew closer the source of the music I realized I was wrong. It was a young woman dressed in medical scrubs that was sending that beautiful music out for all to hear.  She too must have been on her lunch break as there is a medical building in front of the one that I work in. I smiled for her to see because I wanted her to know how much I appreciated her gift.  I realized that she was spending her lunch hour doing the same thing that I was doing. This woman too was experiencing her joy.  I saw, heard and felt it. 

 This unexpected and deeply appreciated encounter got me thinking. And I was thinking about joy.  We all have our obligations and chores but if within those moments we can escape and connect with our joy we have struck gold. My smiled widened even more and it was not just displayed on my face but it resonated from deep within my soul.

 As I continued on my walk the musical tones faded.  I could no longer hear, but I could see. I found a butterfly, a dragonfly and a heart shaped rock.  Each one possessed simple elegance.  But the impact of their unencumbered grace touched me.  These are small and pure moments of connectedness…..moments of simple joy.  And you know what?  Each and every day they present themselves to us, we just have to choose to see them and more importantly accept them for the gift that they are.  I retreated to my desk and finished my work day with a full and grateful heart.

 


 
 The past several months my dear friend has been asking me to join her and another friend on a camping adventure.  Camping is not really my thing…well at least it had not been for the first fifty years of my life.   After much internal bickering I decided to just get out of my own way and embrace a new experience.  So I packed my gear and after work on Friday I drove an hour north to a serene spot called North South Lake and settled into camp.

  Yes, I was a bit of a fish out of water but my friends were very accommodating.  Dinner was deliciously prepared over the campfire.  On the menu, French onion soup, chicken speedie sandwiches and roasted corn.  I must say there is something very grounding about cooking over a campfire.

  The night continued with much laughter and the flickering warmth of the campfire was alluring.  When we finally headed off to bed (and no we weren’t in tents we enjoyed the comforts of the Clipper, a pop of camper) the chatter continued. It was if we were ten year old girls at a slumber party. Only we did not talk of boys rather we laughed at ourselves.  And, no Fran, John “Boy” Walton did not live in a chimney! With the lights out and sleepiness sinking in we drifted off to sleep.  It was a simple and joyful night.

 I was greeted Saturday by a breakfast of pancakes, bacon and fresh brewed coffee and then we headed to the lake for a kayaking adventure.   I paddled along the lake snapping pictures of all the gifts that Mother Nature had provided.  I captured a turtle and a dragonfly hanging out together.  

 
There were geese, birds, butterflies, dragonflies, turtles and ducks.  Each was simply enjoying being in their element.

 

 As I paddled around the lake I found myself drawn more toward the people.  Not only were there other boaters and kayakers upon the lake, but there were people fishing from the shore, young boys, middle aged and older men and a few young girls too. They may have believed that they were just fishing, but in reality they were touching their joy.  They found comfort in the moment and connecting with a source greater than all. 

 There was an artist recreating the scene and a curious little girl compelled to catch a glimpse of the work in progress.

   Much like my Wednesday walk my Saturday paddle around the lake opened my eyes to people purely connecting to their joy.  Life is full of challenges and obstructions but if we can move ourselves beyond those moments and connect to what it is that make our hearts sing we will find moments of peace. 

 Tonight as I was collecting my thoughts I took a break to sit outside in the cool night air and enjoy the dance of the fireflies.  The wooded area behind my house is aglow with a constant flickering of light.  Each and every summer night the light show amazes me. The fireflies remind me of the profound thoughts of an insightful and amazing woman, Dr. Brene Brown.  Several years ago I was led to her TED TV talk about vulnerability.  After which I purchased her book “The Gifts of Imperfection.  Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are”.  It is a wonderfully written book that includes not only the results of her research on the subject, but her own heartfelt inspirational insights. When I first read this passage I paused and reread it and then reread it again.  It captures the essence of joy.

“Twinkle lights are the perfect metaphor for joy.  Joy is not a constant.  It comes to us in moments—often ordinary moments.  Sometimes we miss out on the bursts of joy because we’re too busy chasing down extraordinary moments.  Other times we’re so afraid of the dark that we don’t dare let ourselves enjoy the light.

  A joyful life is not a floodlight of joy.  That would eventually become unbearable.

  I believe a joyful life is made up of joyful moments gracefully strung together by trust, gratitude, inspiration and faith.”…….Brene Brown

  Revel in the ordinary moments of joy that grace your life, don’t allow them to pass you by but rather breathe them in and savor each gift for what it is.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy - beautiful...serene...calming...these come to my mind...thank you, I needed to be grounded - chasing too many things, all at the same time, took me so far away from the simple joys that are much more important than the extraordinary joys I keep reaching for...just as you have written...
    Going out for a breather :-)
    Thanks for sharing - Roni

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing more fullfilling than taking time for yourself and getting back to nature... it definitely clears your mind and soothes your soul! Pictures are great Kathy.... thank you!

    KS

    ReplyDelete