Sunday, January 1, 2012

Survivor Walk

   Years back I watched the reality television show “Survivor”.  The final show consisted of the three remaining contestants who were vying for the grand prize.  One of the rituals was for the last three participants to hike a trail of remembrance.  Along the way they would pass the extinguished torches of their former competitors. They would recall each person’s presence, contribution or quirky attributes.   I always loved that segment and the time of reflection.
   Today is the eve of a New Year and while out for my morning walk I found myself on my own “Survivor Walk”.  I was reliving the many moments that occurred during 2011.  Some were poignant, some were happy, a few painful, other were inspiring and then there were the ones that were peaceful and very comfortable.  However in each of these moments contained a lesson.
Here are some of the lessons that I was reminded of this past year…..
Life is full of beginnings and endings…. 
January was a full circle life month for my family.  On January 11th my sister gave birth to an amazing little boy.  My nephew possesses the bluest eyes, a huge smile and holds so much promise for the future.  There is truly no feeling in this world that compares to cuddling an infant.  They possess the scent of purity, innocence and promise.  Cradling my nephew brought me back to the birth of my children.  Years have a way of fading feelings, but pick up a new born and you are instantly and magically transported back in time to the moment when you first held your own child.
 Our family was doubly blessed on January 12th when my cousin gave birth to a little girl.
  After these joyous occasions and celebrations of new life, on January 13th my Grandmother departed this world.  As much as the family was grateful that she did not suffer a prolonged illness, her last few months were that of transitioning. All through her life she had a difficult time expressing it, but my Grandmother possessed much love in her heart.  I thank her for always speaking her mind, sometimes to a fault, but her ability to say what she truly thought was never lost on me.   I am striving to do more of that.
  Life is circular, new beginnings and inevitable endings.  Ebbs and flows.
The Power of Nature……
  The past few years I have been drawn outdoors.  Mother Nature’s theater never seems to disappoint. The show is always spectacular.   During 2011 I have walked many miles admiring the sky, the birds, the trees, the flowers, the sun and the moon. 
  I have listened to our neighborhood owl usher in the new day.
  This past year I have enjoyed many a peaceful kayak paddles along the river and upon the lake.  I have been guided along my journey by a swan and called out by the reflective powers of the Universe. 
  I have sat upon my favorite thinking spot in the world, a rock jetty on a Cape Cod beach and have ponder life while the tide crashed along the rocks and then gently met the shore.
                                     
   One Sunday morning in June I joined a likeminded group of folks and ventured up Black Rock Mountain for a meditative walk.  It was a time to push myself beyond what I thought I could achieve and before you knew it I was standing at the top of the mountain.  The morning sun was shining and I was standing in the spot where the mountains kiss the sky. It is difficult to find the words that adequately express the beauty I witnessed. Suffice it to say, that Sunday morning I attended services in God’s Cathedral.
  I have watched from my window within my warm home as the winter snow blanketed the ground. Her protective coating of white covered all that was within her sight.  The message is clear.  Slow down, relax, remain centered, be peaceful and calm.
Mother Nature has a way of speaking to us.  She keeps us centered and grounded.  Remember to listen….
When you are tired and think you are done for the day… push yourself a bit…….
   Sometimes an invitation arrives after the fact and you just have to respond YES.  This happened a few times to me during 2011.
  One such time this occurred was on July 9th.  My sister had invited me to a local vineyard for some wine, music and fun.  As tired as I was that day, I said yes.  I packed my car with lawn chairs and bug spray and off I went.  My older sister has always been my guide, my rock and a keeper of my soul.  She spoke for me at an early age and championed me during my latter years. Soon she would be remarrying and moving to another state so I felt this was my opportunity to spend some one on one time together.
  I arrived at the Vineyard first.  I waited in my car for my sister to arrive.  Soon thereafter she did, and she had hoops in hand!  My sister teaches hoop dancing.  For us lay people, this is like doing the hula hoop.
  We set up our chairs, sprayed ourselves generously with bug spray and purchased a few bottles of wine.  A bottle of red for me, and a bottle of white for her along with two souvenir wine glasses.  We talked and talked and then talked a bit more.  The music was playing and it became more inviting.  So off my sister went to hoop a bit.  Before you knew it she had a following.  She is the Pied Piper of hooping!  I loved watching my sister.  She was living within her element and sharing joy! Not to mention that she gave a twelve year old girl a hoop to take home.  Magical was the word that described the night.
                                  
  I so enjoyed my night out with my sister.  I am very glad that I did not let the exhaustion overtake me and rob me of this experience.  I knew that in a few months my sister would be living several hundreds of miles away and I would not have such an opportunity at my fingertips.
Don’t underestimate the impact you have on someone……..
   Taking a few moments from your day to send a quick e-mail to someone may seem insignificant in the big scheme of things.  I never expected me doing so would merit such an honor.  In the fall I experienced my full circle moment. The one in which I realized that my words, deeds and actions affected the life of someone else.
 The past few years I have been attending a bi-weekly mediation group.  Meditation is a wonderful way to clear the clutter from your mind.  Along the way I have met several wonderful people.  Many of whom I am happy to call my friends.
  After eight months or so attending the meditation group I met a young woman.  She was confident, but a bit disenchanted.  She had written a book but was unable to find a publisher.  She knew it was a meaningful story, one that could assist others.  It was her experience as a thirteen year old when she lost her brother to suicide.  I felt for her, believed in her and encouraged her to stay the course.  I would send quotes of encouragement and publishing options I came across on the Internet.   This year she found a local publisher to showcase her work.
  I never realized the extent of my impact upon her.  We met for lunch this past fall.  It was the first and only time that we have met for lunch since I have known her.  After sharing much conversation and wonderful food she presented me with a copy of her book.  I was thrilled to hold her words within my hands.  However I was not prepared for what she revealed to me on the thanks and acknowledgements page…..there it was in black and white, my name.  Blown away…, without a doubt….you could have knocked me over with a feather!  Never in all my days did I feel as if I did anything to warrant such an honor. She also included a handwritten was a note of thanks.  Once again proving, never underestimate the impact that you can have on someone life……

Be kind to Others…..
  Remember, be kind to others.  Treat people the way that you want to be treated.  I have always subscribed to this belief but this past July this message spoke to me and unexpectedly returned a gift.
  While grocery shopping in Walmart on July 3rd I was drawn to a certain checkout line and encountered a cashier who seemed sad and upset.  While packing my groceries I began a conversation with her and she opened up to me.  She was dealing with her own difficulties and I offered some comfort, support and a tiny bit of wisdom.  I understood her. I myself had struggled with similar difficulties. Upon my return home I could not shake our conversation and her sorrow.  I drove back to the store with a book for her, one that had helped me.  Never, ever did I imagine that this encounter would inspire me in such a way.  The next day I wrote my first blog.  I began to let go of the fear that I harbored about others perception of my words or their rejection.  My compassion for another enabled me to open my wings a bit and begin to fly within the world of the written word. 
 Be kind to others you never know what may lie around the corner….
Every Once in a While, Put Yourself First….
  Ahhhh….this is one of the more difficult lessons for us to learn.  However, every once in a while we do need to put ourselves, our desires and more importantly our dreams first.  September of 2011 I finally did it!  Armed with the generosity of my sister who gave me enough frequent flyer miles for an airline ticket to Phoenix Arizona I was headed out west for an adventure in Sedona. Sedona is known for its vibrant red rocks but more importantly the ability to awaken and renew your soul.   And awaken I did!  I spent five glorious days in peace.  I met many new people and pushed myself well beyond what I thought I could possibly do.   I have written much about this journey on this blog so I will not repeat it, but I will say this.  It was the first time that I truly put myself first and in doing so I renewed my spirit and opened my heart and mind to new possibilities. 

2011 Life Lessons…….
   I was coming to the end of my Survivor walk; I rounded the corner and headed toward my home. My thoughts turned towards gratitude.  This year I have watched more fireflies and hummingbirds.  I have seen more rainbows and shooting stars than ever before.  These are gifts that remind me of the beauty that surrounds me. I have spent time with many wonderful people.  I have learned so much from them.
 As I say goodbye to 2011 and hello to 2012 I remind myself that each moment is a gift.  Every moment contains unlimited potential, however I must choose the way in which I live them and experience them.  In 2012 I must continue to expand upon the lessons learned this past year. Focus on the positive rather than on the negative. Let go of the things that are out of my control and expend my energy on those things that I can affect. Seek out the beauty in my surroundings.  Take time for myself, dance, laugh, and love………..
  May 2012 be a year of health, happiness, love laughter and realized dreams for us all……… 
  As I was getting ready to publish this blog I noticed I had a text message.  I read “Meeting at Black Rock at 11:15 for a hike r u in?” The message was from a friend from meditation, the one who organized the June hike.  By the time I read the message it was 10:50.  I hurried around my friend said that they would wait for me. 
 Already a fabulous start to 2012, a hike up a beautiful mountain on an unseasonably warm winter day, in the company of three wonderful kindred spirits……..

No comments:

Post a Comment