Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Sedona Experience- Part I

The “power words” are words that describe an event, a feeling or encounter that touch your soul and leave your heart overflowing. The power words unbelievable, amazing, phenomenal, beautiful, astonishing, etc. all fall very short in describing my visit to the Red Rocks of Sedona.  When you enter the canyon from the desert your senses are immediately heightened and are on overload! The desert drabness morphs into a vibrant red.  It is a red so bright that it stimulates not only the eye, but awakens the soul.   Beauty abounds and your being is left gasping for breath.  You cannot inhale it fast enough.
  I have spent so very much of my life doing for, and giving to others.  Whatever it was that my family or friends needed from me to validate them or make them feel whole became my mission.  The problem was that in the process of doing this I lost sight of myself.  Who I was, what I needed and what I believed in.
  So when I heard about the trip to Sedona Arizona that was being run by an energy intuitive friend, that voice within told me loud and clear, you must be there!  I did not know why, but I had to go.  I needed to take part in this experience. It was my time to stretch beyond what I perceived were my boundaries. And the Universe agreed.  It readily supplied a few of the key components to my travel. So I was Sedona bound.
    Our first group meeting was at two o’clock at the rented home of the energy intuitive and her support staff.  It was literally right around the corner from my hotel.  I could have easily walked.  I was greeted outside by an energetic and lively woman named Libby.  She directed me inside the house. It was spacious but cozy at the same time. I was the second to arrive.  I took my seat along with a deep breath and released any residual worries that were clinging onto me. I waited for the ride to begin.    All tolled there were seventeen of us on the trip.  The group consisted of two men and fifteen women.  The youngest was in her late twenties, the oldest in her mid-seventies.  The majority of us fell within the age range of mid-forties to late fifties.  There was a group of five people from Northern California; two others who were also from California, one person from Missouri, one person from Florida and the balance were from Southern New York.   The odd thing was that even though I was among a group of total strangers, there was a familiarity.  I felt comfortable and safe. 
  Our first official “hike” was Thursday afternoon after our house gathering.  It was in a park near Cathedral Rock. Although we were not actually hiking Cathedral Rock at this time, her presence loomed greatly.  The tall reddish/orange pillars were our focal point.  With each step we got closer to the majesty that was ahead and also closer to the goodness and richness that was contained within each one of our trail mates.
  We entered a clearing where there was a creek and a perfect view of Cathedral Rock’s pillars. That is where the energy vortex resides. The creek flowed gently but was full of energy and life.  Each of us place our feet in the water.  We closed our eyes and experience the cleansing powers. Our souls that arrived somewhat battered were slowly and gently releasing the burdens and toxins within. With each changing current we began to let go of those items and issues we carried to Sedona with us.  We were cleansed, relaxed, free and clear to move forward.

  We returned to the house for a group dinner.  The wine, beer and chatter flowed effortlessly.  The meal was simple, elegant and delicious. Light appetizers along with grilled chicken, burgers, mixed potato salad, tomatoes with basil, green salad. While breaking bread with one another, you could sense that bonds were beginning to form.  I found myself drawn to a woman named Corina.  I sensed that she was strong, but also very compassionate.  We had much in common regarding career, families and our core beliefs.  It is funny how you can meet someone and be immediately drawn to them.  Our conversation was warm and flowed effortlessly. 
   That night Sedona gave us another glimpse of her magic.  A light show was provided!  A storm was brewing in the distance and the bolts of lightning that danced across the sky provided entertainment.  It was Mother Nature putting out her welcome mat.  It was a mesmerizing evening on so many fronts!  We were told to meet the next morning at Bell Rock at 5:45 am for our morning hike. I said my goodbyes and returned to my hotel.  I was full, both physically and emotionally.

  Not wanting to be late for the morning festivities I set my alarm for 4:30 am.  I will admit as excited as I was to begin this adventure, I had to have a cup of coffee before I could get myself moving! I quickly showered and dressed. I choose shorts and a tank top.  I was in Arizona you know, heat for sure.  I grabbed a few cookies and packed my backpack.  Two bottles of water, a few granola bars, a first aid kit, tissues, I-pod (with the loaded playlist from our event coordinator) a camera and small video camera. 
  As everyone else in the hotel slept I ventured out into the darkness to witness the day come to life.  As I exited the hotel I was greeted by the morning chill.  I was sure that as soon as the sun was awakened the warmth would return.  I drove my rented red Kia Soul to the designated parking area.  I was concerned since I was the only one there.  Could I be in the wrong spot?  I checked my cell phone.  No messages.  Just as I began to send a text message to our leader, she and another group arrived.

  You know how some people’s names just seem to fit them; well Bell Rock’s name does fit.  She is bell shaped.  After the group gathered we began our trip along the trail.  The beginning part of the trail is somewhat flat, not rocky and graced with blazing red clay and gravel.  We made our way to a clearing to rest before we would begin walking in an area that is a bit more challenging.  We stopped to regroup, reflect and relax.  As we were in this spot the sun was rising higher and higher into the sky.  Since we were up so very early Mother Nature decided to reward our perseverance and dedication.  Over the rocks to the left there was a beautiful, clear rainbow.  Then a sibling joined her. Finally to leave us speechless the rays of color intersected with the original bow…..a triple!  What a sight!

 As the colors began to fade we turned and made our way along the path.  It was rockier.  You had to watch where you were stepping.  As much as I wanted to gaze upward at the beauty that abounded I kept my eyes downward to ensure that I did not take a misstep.  However, the sun was not gracing us with her warmth. The lightness became dim and the dark clouds rolled in.   Shortly thereafter the raindrops began to fall. Slow at first, but then they picked up their intensity.  We continued moving forward and upward.  We arrived at a clearing that intersected with an energy portal.  We stopped and with the rain falling we received all that was offered to us.  I climbed higher onto the rocks.  As the saying goes….slippery when wet…well this did pertain to the rocks.  Each step was taken with caution, but also with faith. As finished our time here and moved on from this spot something hit me.  I am a person that is always cold.  I can eat ice cream in the summer, but then have to put on a jacket to rid myself of the chill.  And as my trail mates were cold and putting on jackets, the chill did not invade me.  Then I thought, “Maybe I am warmed since I finally released that last cold chamber of my heart.  The one piece within me that I have not been able to let go of…Did these red rocks finally release it?”  I moved on along the trail knowing that this was the case.  The warmth that is fully within my heart was now heating my being.
 We were instructed that when you reach your limit on the trail, stop.  Wait. We will gather you on the return trip.  Some folks did just that, but I continued along.  Upward we went. The further up you go the less spacious the trails become.  You must be cognizant with each step.  We were about two thirds of the way up and parallel to Courtyard Butte.   Two huge rocks nestled against one another.  Protecting each other and having one another’s back.  At that moment I felt so small, so insignificant, but yet at the same time I sensed my presence was important.  In comparison I was just a grain of sand on the beach.  The rocks were as magnificent and as overpowering as the ocean.  But I was supposed to be exactly where I was at that moment. The message was clear.  Everyone and everything, no matter how big or small, is relevant important and integral to our existence.

 After our decent from Bell Rock we gathered in the parking lot.  We received our meeting instructions for that evening. Six o’clock at Airport Mesa.  I made plans to meet Corina for breakfast.  I returned to my room for a shower.  As the warm water touched my skin I finally realized that I had been cold, just not able to feel it.  The warmth felt good.  It was as if I had traveled full circle. I changed and headed out to meet Corina at the Red Rock Coffee House.  I was there, but she wasn’t.  After fifteen minutes I called her.  She was at the Red Rock Café.  Easy mistake for both of us….everything has Red Rock in its name!  I re-routed and we had a wonderful meal together.  What was supposed to breakfast became lunch, but it didn’t matter! Once again we found ourselves engrossed in conversation……and without a lull. We decided that we would drive together to Airport Mesa for our next excursion. 
 I picked Corina up at the bed and breakfast that she was staying at, at 5:40.  When we got to Airport Mesa there was very little parking.  Thankfully I had the compact Kia Soul and we snagged the very first (and tiny) parking spot.  This climb was not as drastic at first.  Since we parked in the back of the rock we were already most of the way up.  However the last twenty feet were straight up…all rock.  It was one of those entry ways where you had to scale the rocks.  I felt my legs were wobbly, probably from the morning hike.  I thought, maybe the place where I was standing was just fine.  I didn’t need to be at the very top of the Mesa.  Then I looked up.  Standing at the very top was Sally, the woman in her mid-seventies.  With the assistance of the two men on the trip and with her cane, she made it to the top!  So, now the gauntlet was thrown!  I HAD to get to the top.  I took a deep breath and began my upward journey.  Every step was carefully thought out and executed.  Somehow I made it to the top, wobbly legs and all.  I owe a debt of gratitude to Sally, for without her inspiration I would have missed out on one of the most breath taking views I had ever seen.  We were at the top of the rocks looking outward and downward and the world surrounded us.  It was to be a sunset hike, but Mother Nature did not agree.  Sunset or no sunset the view was amazing!! 

 So after a quick stop for drink fatigue set in.  We were drunk on the sights, the energy and the experience.  On the ride back to the hotel I thought "A few phenomenal days, what else could posibly lie ahead?"  Soon I was to find out just how very much Sedona has to offer!


No comments:

Post a Comment