Friday, September 30, 2011

The Sedona Experience - Part III

Today, September 11, 2011 would be another day that I stepped out of the hotel into the cool early morning air of Sedona.  The darkness in the sky was still so very prevalent, much like it was hanging in my heart.   It is very early morning, 5:20 a.m. to be exact. The hotel staff was quietly performing their assigned tasks. Their emphasis is on the flawless operation of the hotel and the comfort of their guests.  I am cognizant of what today’s date is and what it means. Ten years ago today comfort, security and life as it was known to the family members, friends and co-workers of 2,977 innocent people was changed, destroyed and altered in a matter of a few minutes.

  I headed over in my red Kia SOUL to pick up my friend for our scheduled hike.  On the ride over I was anxious, I wanted to see my friend. However, I was struck by the thought that this beautiful woman that I had never seen or spoken to three days ago, in an instant has become a friend.  No, she is a kindred spirit in this Sedona journey, but now more importantly in my life.  I am struck by the irony of these thoughts. One moment can bring so much pain, loss and sadness, while another brings so much hope, joy and happiness!

    Our hike was scheduled to begin at 5:45 a.m.  As the group arrived daylight gave its first hint of appearance.  There was chatter among the group, however it was somewhat quiet and less than normal.  The lack of interaction wasn’t because of fatigue, but it was due to reflection.  This morning marked the ten years to the day that our lives as we had known it, changed.  Many of the people in our group live in the bedroom communities of New York City.  Every one of us had some sort of story, experience or connection to the events of that day ten years ago.

   We began our hike in silence. It was 5:45 a.m. Sedona time, 8:45 a.m. New York time.  Ten years and one minute removed from the most defining moment in modern day America. Dawn was breaking upon Bell Rock.  She became encased in white clouds.  Was it was Mother Nature’s way of wrapping her beautiful creation, Bell Rock, in the protective cocoon of her womb? Emotions and images of that day were flooding my mind.  The bluest of blue skies, the darkest of dark clouds, the deepest river of pain all came flooding back to me.  I know, and yes, I remember.

   September 11, 2001 at 8:46 a.m. Eastern Standard Time American Airlines Flight 11 scheduled to arrive in Los Angeles later that day, flew into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.  It was steel, piercing steel and cutting through concrete like scissors through paper. The fuel that was to give the plane life to fly across the country was engulfing the building in flames and weakening her being. Ten years later to the minute as I followed a rocky path, one that was lined by the vibrant red rocks that were now permeating my soul, the thoughts flooded in.  I thought of the families in my community that lost their husbands, wives, dads, moms, brothers, sisters and friends. Many of these were the beings who believed they could be more than human and save those that were trapped within the burning structure. The World Trade Center was created to house the essence of America.  One that we believed defined us, that is, us up until that moment: success, wealth and prosperity.   How wrong we were…………and what a lesson we learned.

  As our group continued our upward journey the clouds that surrounded Bell Rock began to change.  They became reddish/pink in hue. However, they now took on the shape that resembled the smoke billowing from the World Trade Center on that fateful morning. I was breathing deeply. The message I was recieving was amazing.  I continued to snap pictures.  I needed to preserve this moment. I turned to point out the clouds to a fellow hiker.  When I looked at the scene unfolding behind me I gasped in awe!!!  Behind us on the path as a rainbow!!!  There was not a hint of rain in the area, but there appeared a beautiful rainbow!  My gaze now turned forward and the reddish pink clouds that were emitting from Bell Rock had moved.  They now appeared golden yellow and were flowing from Courtyard Butte.  Courtyard Butte resides next to Bell Rock.  They are much like the two towers of the World Trade Center; aligned structures, supporting one another.


  I turned back once again to point out all that was unfolding before me to a fellow traveler  and when I did I saw that the rainbow was not only still illuminated, but a small pinkish/reddish cloud formed in the shape of a heart was residing within the rainbow!  Speechless…. I was totally speechless!!!

  Our group arrived at a clearing within the rocks on the back section of Bell Rock about a third of the way up.  Ten years ago on this day, September 11th this series of events that is etched in our collective minds took place:

·       8:46 a.m. American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center.
·       9:03 a.m. American Airlines Flight 175 crashed into the South Tower of the World Trade Center.
·       9:57 a.m. American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon.  
·       10:03 a.m. United Airlines Flight 93 under the control of hijackers and overtaken by selfless United States citizens to save countless others, crashed.
·       9:59 a.m. after burning for fifty six minutes, the South Tower of the World Trade Center collapsed.
·       10:28 a.m. after burning for one hundred and two minutes the North Tower of the World Trade Center collapsed.

  It only took one hundred and two minutes to inflict the destruction that defines the world that we live in to take hold.  I was fully reminded of that when I arrived at the airport to travel to Sedona. I navigated my way through the security checks with my shoes removed, my body scanned and my identifying documents placed under a microscope for validation.

  So approximately within that one hundred and two minute time frame our group had hiked up the first third of Bell Rock.  We watched and observed, awaiting what was to come.  It was much like Christmas morning as the neatly wrapped gifts are being opened and exposed to the daylight, the miracle of this day and its grandeur was being presented to us.  We marveled in its beauty, the rainbow, the smoke colored clouds and the burning life flame within the red rocks and our souls.

  We stopped at a large open rock clearing that had a very small stream running through it.  It was a time of reverence.  We acknowledged the meaning of the day and any shared their feelings and stories from those moments. 

  I have many thoughts that rattle around in my head, but rarely do I verbalize them.  However, on this day I needed to.  I was compelled to.  Finally, I opened up.  I said:

  “As we began our hike and the dark skies became light I saw Bell Rock encased in white clouds.  As the hike progressed the clouds changed their colors.  They became a pinkish/reddish and to me, resembled the smoke that was rising from the World Trade Center ten years ago.  Today, much like then, our group was like the first responders.   We were heading into the smoke and danger, not out of it.  When I turned and saw the rainbow that had a pink heart shaped cloud intersecting it, I knew.  It was a message from the Universe saying ….Thank you!  You are supported in your journey of spreading love.  A message that is so very different from ten years ago.”

  It took a lot for me to speak up and share my thoughts, but I needed to. It wasn’t about me.  It was about all of those who lost………..but they did lose in vain.  See, as much as the warriors of that day sacrificed, they taught us a lesson.  This life is not about what material possessions you have.  It is about your heart connections.  Money, wealth, fame and fortune do not leave this earth with you, nor do they really, in the end, possess any tangible value.  The way you live your life, the assistance you offer other, the compassion you display and the love that you give freely, with nothing expected in return is ALL THAT REALLY MATTERS. 

  My heart was full. All of these thoughts that were sent from heaven and the angels above produced another gift.  Into our part of Bell Rock strolled a man with a guitar.  He introduced himself as Mark.  He asked if we would like to hear some Christian music.  Of course we agreed.  He began playing and singing.  Each note was clear and concise and just as it should be. Our compassionate group of seventeen started singing along with Mark.  The hymn he chose ……”How Great Thou Art”.    The notes and tones bounced from rock to rock and more importantly, from heart to heart! 
  That morning we could have chosen to stay in our rooms watch the television as it replayed all of the sadness and grief with each roll call.  Instead we chose to honor the lives of the 2,977 souls who gave so much.  We went out enjoyed the gifts provided by Mother Nature.  See, our consciousness has shifted.  No longer are we totally focused on all the ideals that the World Trade Center represented…..success, wealth and financial prosperity. We are now focused on the wealth that resides in each of us.  Life, love and compassion; I am proud to say that I, along with sixteen other loving souls, honored those that gave so much to bring life and consciousness to so very many.

 We continued in our upward journey of Bell Rock.  I went higher than I thought I would or, for that matter thought I could. It was amazing how quickly the skys cleared and all that you could see above was the deep dark blue of the sky.....another reminder.


 After hiking higher and pushing myself beyond what I percieved my limitations to be, I exited the trail.  Right there where I had passed many times before was a sign.  The message was clear, loud and true.....


No comments:

Post a Comment