Friday, October 14, 2011

The Sedona Experience - Part IV

              “In the midst of our lives, we must find the magic that makes our souls soar.” 

This quote is embossed on the front of the journal that I had purchased to bring along with me to Sedona.  The sentiment is fitting in so many ways.  This trip was a life line. I have rediscovered the magic within that was dormant. That which was once lost is now mine to hold, to embrace.  I pushed myself beyond the limitation that I perceived I had. And yes, with all of the messages and experiences that the red rocks have revealed to me, my soul that had been stuck in the mud is now free to and has taken flight.  I truly loved every minute of the experience.
After our hike on Sunday morning September 11th I realized that I had just about twenty four hours left in this place where life takes shape, form and meaning. I must admit, I felt like Cinderella who only had limited time before the coach turned back into a pumpkin and the glass slipper was no longer mine to wear.
  I have struggled with writing this fourth and final installment of my Sedona journey.  I have been working on it sporadically the past few weeks and it just hasn’t felt right.  I find myself grasping for words that would bring the remaining experiences to life. I felt that I had become repetitive in my thoughts. I would write, read, edit, re-write, re-read and re-edit.  None of it was to my satisfaction.  So after scrapping all that I created, I decided to take a different approach.
    Story telling can be achieved in many different forms.   A story can be conveyed in written word, the spoken word, acting, drawing, painting, or by an electronic means such as a photograph.  Well, ok, in my case by many photographs!   I’ve decided to let the pictures tell the story of my last twenty four hours in Sedona and reveal the magic.
  Our second hike on September 11th was an early evening hike at Court Yard Butte.  It is not a rock that you can easily climb upon, so our trek was upon an adjacent trail.  This is the story that the rocks, the land, the people and the clouds told on that evening……….


















 The last hike of the trip was a sunrise hike at Cathedral Rock. This hike brought us full circle as we had hiked by a stream adjacent to Cathedral Rock the very first night. Sunrise at any Cathedral is always astonishing however, in this venue; in these red rocks it is simply spectacular!

































  As we neared the completion of our Cathedral Rock hike the group gathered at the same plateau that was our first destination of the morning.  I found it ironic we stopped here during our assent and also our decent.  Another full circle moment; our first hike was in full view and adjacent to Cathedral Rock and our last hike was on it.  We sat on that plateau in a circle.  We lay down upon the rock and let the sun infuse just a bit more light into our hearts.  This trip was about the heart, specifically about love.  Not romantic love but love of who you are; love of life; love of family, more importantly our universal family, mankind; love of all of the abundance that surrounds us and that we fail to see on a day to day basis.  Most importantly it was about loving ourselves.  When we love ourselves and understand who we are we can communicate and spread the simple joys.  There were so many years that I did not love myself. Actually, I had lost myself. I didn’t know who I was.   Now, I understand, I get it. I do my best to live it.
  So as the group sat and talked upon that plateau our guide pointed out the images that had been etched by nature upon that stone……yes, you guessed it……….heart shaped imprints were within the rock! 


  We did not want to, but we knew that it was time to make our decent from the plateau and head towards the parking lot.  As we neared the place that we would step off of the red rock trail our guide and her partner held up the opposite ends of a piece of a tree branch. One by one we each exited the trail beneath this arch, but we are connected by heart.  We arrived here as individuals and exited as a unit.


 After the hike we shared a final meal together.  Breakfast at the “Red Rock Café” was in order.  With the conversation flowing faster than the coffee we simply enjoyed being together.  Deep down, we knew that as natural as this felt, it may be a long, long time before we would all be together again. When we return to our daily lives we will be separated in distance, but always connected by heart.
  It truly amazed me that these people whom I did not even know existed five days ago were now weighing very heavily upon my heart.  When breakfast finished I said my goodbyes.  The words were heartfelt, the hugs strong and tears sweet.  Every single person on this trip had touched me.  But now, more importantly I had to say goodbye to the woman who I had instantly connected with, the person with whom I felt as if I had known for a lifetime (and maybe I did).  This is the person who became a friend in an instant and will remain one for life. True to her form, she made this easy for me.  Much like she did throughout the trip.  The hug was long, deep and full of emotion, then she said, “This is not good bye; I will see you again soon.”
 When breakfast was finished I returned to my hotel room to shower, change and pack.  I was driving to Phoenix that afternoon and flying out early the next morning.  As if this trip could get any better, I had plans that afternoon to meet the author of a book that I had read for a cup of coffee. 
  So I packed my suitcase in my rented red Kia Soul and headed towards the highway.   As I headed down the highway I glanced in the rear view mirror for one more look at the red rocks.  I was thirsting for a little more magic and a little more light I was thankful for the nourishment I received and for all the messages that were provided.     


Unlike other vacations where I left with a lump in my throat and sadness in my heart because it was over, I left Sedona with a full heart, no an overflowing heart.  There was no room for sadness, a throat lump, or tears. I felt good, really good  and I know that I will return.


 It has been a little over five weeks since I began my Sedona journey.  I am still nourished from the experience. Today as I put on my sneakers to go out for a lunchtime walk I was drawn to the red hue that is still evident in the laces. As I was tying my sneakers I recited one of my own quotes, “Sedona’s red rocks are embedded in my sneakers and socks, but more importantly they are embedded in my heart and soul!” And yes, in the midst of my life, I found the magic that makes my soul soar………….

No comments:

Post a Comment