Wednesday, July 6, 2011

One Sun.......One Moon......

Thoughts from April 21, 2011.....

After spending another day at work trying to alleviate the abundant frustration and finger pointing I had an overwhelming need to just be outside.  After dinner I decided to go for a walk.  The sun was still shining brightly and the wind was blowing forcefully.  I felt that the wind would cleanse the toxic feelings that were being spewed upon me all day.
It feels good not to be confined between four walls. The warmth from the sun, the gentle caresses from the wind combined with the freshness of a spring evening was just what I need.  I proceeded to cross the highway and walk the one mile mountain that goes straight up and crests at the best home I ever knew, Mom and Dad’s.  I was about 200 yards into my incline therapy and as I looked up and saw how much more lie ahead of me and I thought “I can’t do this tonight.”  But then, I took a deep breath and whispered to myself “yes you can”, so I lowered my gaze on what was immediately in front of me and continued.  Soon the cadence of the movement took over and before I knew it I was in what I call a meditative walk.
 I’ve defined a meditative walk as this:   A walk in which the steps are not measured nor the distance gauged. The mind takes over, peacefulness seeps into the soul and you look up and somehow you have arrived at your destination. 
By the time I looked up again I was already halfway up the mountain and I found my thoughts wandering.  This is what crossed my mind. 
 We all know that there is just one sun and just one moon.  Simple fact, duh! Nothing earth shattering here! But wait, think about it this way: 

The morning sun that streams through my office window and brings me joy is the same sun that reflects on the flag draped casket of a soldier.
 The sun that my friends on spring break in Florida enjoyed while playing on the beach today is the same sun that the survivors of the earthquake in Japan are looking to for warmth. 
The sun that brought me comfort on this walk is the same sun that my friend in Montana will feel on her back as she mounts her trusty Morgan for that trail ride in the mountains.
  And the moon…

  The moon that illuminates the nursery of an infant during the three a.m. feeding is the same moon light that is streaming light into hospital room of a cancer patient as they await their latest test results. 
The moon that I gaze upon while sitting on my deck is the same moon that my jet setting sister basks in as she walks the streets of Florence, Paris, Singapore, Bahrain  or any other place she chooses to visit. 
The moon light that is present while we peacefully sleep secure in our homes is the same moon that the State Trooper sees as he responds to the desperate call for help that occurs during his night shift. 
Like everything under the heavens, the sun and the moon have their purpose.  The sun provides light, warmth and more importantly is essential in providing the nutrients that our trees, plants and flowers need to grow.  The moon affects the oceans tide, the ebbs and flows of nature.  The sun and the moon are the keepers of the earth’s scales… our balance that is. 
Much like us; the sun and the moon have their emotions.  Sometimes they are shining brightly and illuminating all that is around them. Other times they hide behind the clouds not wanting to reveal themselves at all. And then there are the times they need to be cleansed and cleared.  The rain provides the healing as tears are shed and burdens lifted.   Sometimes they open up and show all that they are, and other times they feel comfortable revealing only that small crescent sliver, the only part of themselves that they are willing to, or can share. 
So yes, there is just one sun and just one moon……….Everyone of us looks at them each day at one time or another.  They are a central binding force.  We share in their warmth, glow, illumination and shadows.  We are all universally connected in more ways than we can ever imagine…………….


No comments:

Post a Comment