Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Sunday Meditative Paddle

  I so love summer!!!  I believe it is the most magical time of the year.  The days are long and the light is bright.  There is color, beauty and life at every corner.  The leaves, flowers, grass, clouds, sky, sun and moon all throw in there two cents.  They all speak loudly and clearly.  Saying look, enjoy, be alive and vibrant much like I am!  So I am listening to them this year.  I know there are many closets to clean a garage that needs attention and some painting around the house that is calling me. But if I stay inside and do what needs to get done, I will lose the time to enjoy what I long to do.  So I will procrastinate and put off the inside work to the next rainy day.

  I needed to be outside on such an amazing day.  Today the sun was shining brightly.  The humidity low and the sky, well, it was so very blue.  So even though my usual kayak buddies were unavailable, I packed my rig, paddle, life vest, water bottle and camera.  Off I went for an adventure of my own.
  I got to the lake, unloaded the kayak, parked the van and returned for my solitary send off.  It was easy, it went smoothly.  I pushed off and my adventure began.  On the lake, unlike the shore, the wind was strong.  The wind defined the lake’s current.  At first I just went with it.  I let it flow through me.  I went in the direction it pointed.  Soon thereafter I garnered my sea legs and charted my own course.
  So I made my way to the first cove.  It was secluded and peaceful.  I paddled closer to shore.  It was then that I discovered that I had a friend looming in the reeds and lily pads.  I paddled within thirty feet, a close, but comfortable distance.  Silently I waited.  Shortly thereafter she emerged from the reeds……….. A beautiful, elegant and majestic swan!  She sized me up as I did her.  And then we began our tour around her cove.  She allowed me to paddle along with her as long as I respected her personal space.  There is something so very calming when you know that you are not alone upon the water.  Someone or something has your back.  We toured her cove, her home and when it was time for me to move onto more expansive waters, she retreated back to her comfort zone.  It was an amazing time upon the water. A time of true connection to the Universe all that is above and below. This creature welcomed me to her home, gave me the grand tour and then released me to the next leg of my journey.


 And journey I did.  I paddled and paddled.  It was difficult against the current, put it was exhilarating to beat the odds so to speak!!   Over the rocks and through the lily pads I paddled. As beautiful as the day was I was amazed at how desolate it was.  I encountered only one fisherman on the shore and a rowboat with two passengers that were surveying the lake.

 So onward I went against the current.  And then I lifted my paddles from the water, closed my eyes and listened.  It was like the Sunday evening meditation group that I attend.  Eyes closed and focused on the simple sounds.  I heard the water lapping against my kayak.  I listened as the birds that continued to sing their sweet song.  I felt the sun upon my face and the wind against my cheek.  I also heard the wind rustling through the leaves.  It was if the wind was a bow that was gently caressing the strings of the violin.  The sound was sweet, pure and unencumbered. I opened my eyes and watched the clouds much like I did as a young child. In those fluffy layers of matter I saw a unicorn, a turtle, an angel, a train, an eagle, a cow and a heart.  How very wonderful to spend time watching the clouds change their forms and sending message to us below….Total bliss! 


  As much as I didn’t want to leave this place of beauty I knew that I was overstepping my bounds of freedom.  These moments were going to have to last for a week.  They are going to have to carry me.  Each time I Iook out my office window I will close my eyes and remember.  I will retreat to my Sunday on the lake.  The sound of water kissing the shore, the grace of the swan guiding me out of her cove and the sound of the wind whispering her name to me………….

  Here in lies the lesson, take time for you.  Whatever it may be that calls to you.  It could be a walk around the block, a trip to the mall, a long drive or some alone time to read a book.  Replenish yourself. Reconnect with who you are. And above all else, cherish the gift of these moments and for acknowledging their importance.  I am eternally grateful for my time upon the lake today.  Find your "you" time.  If you don’t replenish yourself, you will not be able to fully give yourself to others!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos....felt like I was there. Kris

    ReplyDelete